Sunday 16 June 2013

1950`s Challenge Day 7 - Baking Day

It`s cold wet and horrible here today!!

Nothing better than staying warm and cosy inside and baking.

I have asked for suggestions on my face book group MISS LILY MAY`S VINTAGE AFFAIR and have had some great suggestions. Fair being fair I chose the first recipe to make today along with 2 of Lord Huntingdon`s favourites.

The first was from a wonderful lady Simone Campbell.

Jubilee Twist1 1/2 Cups S/R Flour
2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 Cup currants
1 tbsp Butter
1 Egg
1/2 Cup milk
a little lemon peel

Rub the butter into the flour, add all dry ingredients, then the egg and milk. Roll out into two long rounds and twist one around the other. Bake for 20 mins. Boil 1 tbsp sugar and 1 tbsp water for 3 mins and put on twist while hot. Sprinkle with coconut.



Then next was a recipe that Lord Huntingdon made as boy. It has always been a favourite of his and has only been reintroduced a few months back when his Mum found the recipe.

Nougat Slice

4oz melted butter
6oz Castor sugar
1 cup coconut
1 cup mixed fruit
1 beaten egg
1 heaped cut S.R flour
vanilla

Put melted butter on top of all ingredients and mix well.
Cook 180 degrees Celsius in well greased shallow slice tin for 20-25mins
Ice with lemon icing, cut into pieces and enjoy :)


Chewy Chocolate Slice





I would love to know if you try any of these.

I would also love to try any of your recipes.

Then after all this baking I made dinner.

Consisting of  pumpkin soup for entree made from scratch and satay chicken with rice for main.

If they are still hungry then they have plenty of baked goods to have for dessert.

For me it`s time to wash up and then sit down and relax with a nice cup of  coffee, I think I will have a piece of chewy chocolate slice to go with it as I believe coffee and chocolate should go hand in hand.

Chat soon XX

6 comments:

  1. I so want some of that chocolate slice. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Naomi, it`s easy to make, give it a try as see what you think :)

      Delete
  2. All the baked goods look great, Yum! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen, Thank you for your kind words:)

      Delete
  3. The twist looks like it came out ok. I think I will have to try that one but do it with a proper layer of icing like we discussed. Keep up the yummy cooking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think thats the way to go, maybe a nice soft pink with coconut on top would be nice. Pop a photo up when you make it to show us all, I would love to see it!! xx

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! It means a lot :D