Saturday 4 May 2013

My sewing attempt as promised.

I had good intentions as always, but when it came down to sitting down in front of the sewing machine fear took over! Yes FEAR!!!

Where do I start, what do I make? And the thing that scares me  the most FAILURE!!

I put off my attempt for the whole day as I could not picture what to make, I had told my daughter that I wanted to make a bag to but my plastic bags into, you know the kind you get from the supermarket.

Well she came to my rescue this morning. I think she could tell how disappointed I was that I had not yet made anything so she told me how to make one over the phone. Knowing me as she does she said "you don`t understand what I a trying to explain to you do you?" And with that she said that she would whip one up in about 10 minutes and take photos along the way with a written description, which she would then send  me.

I got the sewing machine out and set it up in anticipation. The message came through and off to work I went. Her finished product looked so good I had high expectations of what I could achieve considering it was only a cylinder shape which she managed to put together in about 10 minutes.

I picked out the material I wanted to use and gathered the supplies I thought I would need along with setting up the ironing board as I wanted my attempt to be neat and I had heard that ironing helps to achieve a tidy look.

I put my phone on the desk next to the sewing machine with the email up so I could follow it step by step.

I started at step 1 and read through the instructions not missing or leaving out anything.

I folded here and there and ironed them flat. I was told to pin here and there but thought I would miss that step as I had ironed a crease in so why use pins, as I was only going to remove them after sewing anyway.

I stitched the casing for the elastic in place and to my horror I realised that I had stitched where I was going to put the elastic in.

My disappointment was evident to my daughter when she received my call to ask how do I fix this?

"What already, didn`t you follow the instructions and the photos?" she said.

"Well I thought that step could be missed" was my reply in explaining to her.

She said she would call be back in a few minutes to explain how to fix the problem.

It was quiet obvious to me now that I should not try to take shortcuts as I just stuff things up in doing so!!

While I was waiting for my daughter to call back Lord of Huntingdon come in from cutting firewood to find me in front of the sewing machine trying to work around the mess I had made.

Being the man he is he immediately jumped into my chair to fix my stuff up. He explained this and that and unpicked this and that. He thought at this stage that it would be easier to start from scratch to show me as I learn by doing not reading instructions.

He cut out his material and folded here and there and stitched here and there and before I knew it he had achieved a bag to hang the plastic bags in.

Not wanting to give in as I am afraid of failure as I said before I cut out another piece of material and proceeded to fold here and there and to stitch here and  there and in a relatively short period of time I had made my very own bag.

It may not be perfect to the seamstress or as decorative as my daughters but I am proud of it all the same.

It only took me the whole afternoon to stress out, stuff up and finally achieve.

Now as I have said before I have Multiple Sclerosis and I once was as sharp as a tack I now have trouble concentrating and focusing on the task at hand but I am going to try  sewing something new tomorrow, I will let you know how I go and if you have any simple projects for beginners let me know and I will attempt them.



6 comments:

  1. I think its a great first effort! Who needs bells and whistles on a "bag bag" anyway I say. I have a good project for you to try next if you want some pretty pillowcases. They call it a tube or burrito pillowcase - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAomYjHzUQk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simone for the comment. I really appreciate feedback, good or bad as I believe honesty is the best policy. I will pop onto the website you suggested and I will give it a go. I will post photos of how it goes along the way. How knows you may get a good giggle:)

      Delete
  2. I'm not much of a sewer (Is that a word?) You are doing far better than I could.
    My name is Marilyn. I am a fellow aussie and a friend of Naomi and Simone. Just popping by to say Hi!
    Hope you are having a good start to the week!

    Marilyn @ Marilyn's Mystery Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to meet you Marilyn, you are lucky to have such wonderful friends!!
    If I am crazy enough to put up my sewing attempts I think you should to, we could encourage one and other along the way:) and maybe give those who want to join us a giggle along the way. I am having a great start to the week, thanks for asking. How about you, and what are your interests?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Melissa, I understand completely what you mean about having to have your hands working to sew. For the past three days I have not been able to use my left arm and now I wake this morning and my right arm out of action. I love sewing and I try to make things for the home and coats for the dogs and jumpers etc.

    You have done a very good effort honey in making your plastic bag holder and I love the material. What is your next adventure going to be with the sewing machine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a few items I would like to try I managed to find some material and a pattern for oven gloves and bibs. I think this should be nice and easy. I dont want to frighten myself away from sewing as I am loving the idea of being able to make my own items. One person posted a link for something to try which I will attempt in the next few days also. I will post some photos along the way. xx

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! It means a lot :D