Wednesday 8 May 2013

Honey I want a pig!

I remember it like it was yesterday which is strange as I am lucky to remember what I had for breakfast most days!

Lord Huntingdon and I were driving home in the truck from a job quote when I turned to him and said "Honey I want a pig"

I recall the look of -  here we go again written all over his face.

He knows I always get my own way - I usually arrive home with the animals and then he is running around like a man posest trying to build pens so they have a safe place to sleep so I would think that he is best just to agree, build the pens and he would be one step ahead of me. 

I left it at that and began talking about something else, all the time thinking when I get home I will research pigs to see what is needed for them as I had never had a pig before.

Soon after I got home the research begun into miniature pigs.

The next day I found some advertised on Gumtree and organised to look at them over the weekend which was a few days away.

Amongst other conversation about his new boat a shark cat a few days after I had told Lord Huntingdon that as I mentioned a few days ago I wanted a pig and I was looking at a pig over the weekend.

He asked where it was and mentioned that he was working on the Saturday, I said that was  fine I will take Jaimi-lee and Ben with me. He said "I know what this means with a sigh"!

I waited like a child waiting for Santa as I was so excited. Saturday arrived and we travelled the 2 hours to look at the pig which I had already imagined living at home.

We arrived at the property where the pig was. My son in law Ben said "Why is it when we come and look at animals with you they are in the middle of nowhere surrounded by bush" He is right it is something that  you would see in a horror film!

The Lady greeted us as soon as we stepped out of the car and ushered us behind the house where she had a chook pen and the pigs where in there!

She had told me over the phone that they were friendly and she had 2 to choose from.

Into the chook pen we went where she attempted to pick up one of the pigs but it was having nothing to do with her. I stood back to watch as I wanted to see their behaviour.

She said I will get their food so with that she went away and came back with a bucket of what I would call slosh!!! It was bread soaked in milk.

When they were eating she said you could do anything with them.

But I wanted to be able to do anything with them anytime!!

When they finished eating My daughter tried to pat them but they ran away. I tried they ran away! The owners 10 year old daughter tried and she was bitten by one of them.

With that I said that I only ever have animals which can be handled and are quiet as I have a granddaughter which will want to help feed the animals when she gets older.

4 hour round trip wasted, one unhappy Lady of Huntingdon!!

If she had been honest I wouldn`t have bothered looking at them.
Back home to Gumtree to see what else was available and there they were, a litter of 6 miniature pigs for sale and only another 2 hours from home the opposite direction.

I rang to arrange a time to view them the following weekend, asked all the same questions and told Lord of Huntingdon we had a trip next weekend.

Off we went the following weekend, it was a nice drive and before too long we were there.

We were greeted by the the owners 3 children as they had told me that they were not going to be home.

The piglets were in a trailer filled with hay and a cover over the top to keep them cool as they said it was easier to catch they for us before we got there.

We had a look at at the babies and then I asked to view the parents which they were delighted to show us.

The parents were a good size and you could walk around them without too much fuss.

I was excited as I knew this is where I was happy to choose not 1 but 2 babies a boy and a girl.

They were not related so if we choose to we could breed them.

I picked the 2 I liked one white and 1 black and white.

We paid for them, put them in a large box and put them in the back of the 4x4 and we set off to take our new addition home!!

We arrived at home, put them in their pen and we spent the next few hours in their with them. They were inquisitive of their new home and gave us lots of amusement as we got to know them.

The next day back in I went and had a great time teaching them to sit and teaching them there names.

They  sit now when asked, get down when told, come when called and eat out of my hands.

I have so much joy with them. Babe is the white girl and a little cheeky  at times!!

When I fill up their water container she picks it up, empties it and then puts it in he bed. Maybe she thinks its her baby?

Now I have taken to filling their pool up with water and we are installing pig sippers in their new pen, which will hopefully save her wasting the water.

Squizzy is the black and white male and he is more of a sook than Babe and he loves his cuddles.




BABE

This is babe I have had her for about 3 months now.

She is incredibly smart and behaves herself most of the time.





Squizzy
This is squizzy he is a sweetheart and a sook.




3 comments:

  1. Ohhh they are so cute Mel!!! I would love to have a property large enough to have some piggies! They are seriously adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you I think so. I will pop some photos of my goats up soon, I think you will enjoy those also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely story and the pigs are adorable!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! It means a lot :D